We use plastic in this house. We are not perfect. But we do what we can to make a difference. Part of that is sending items to Terracycle for upcycling. Recently I had two shipments to send: personal care and energy bar wrappers. I've stopped buying energy bars for the most part, but Mr. GV still uses Clif Shots when he is biking.
My visible "eco/frugal" to-do list one day: return library books, drop off magazines at Friends of Library, mail two books for Paperback Swap, and the two boxes for Terracycle.
I frequently need green chiles and jalapeƱos for dishes I make for Mr. GV. Of course it's always cheaper to buy the bigger cans, so I have leftovers. No problem! Just use an ice cube tray to freeze and make servings for later.
Yard sales! I went to a city-wide sale a couple of weekends ago and boy was that fun. Especially if you are just starting out in your own home or if you are having a baby, you could make out like a bandit.
I came home with:
2 small baskets (used to organize the top of my laundry closet)
4 fun math/story books for J
2 DVDs for J
Lego book, Highlights magazine, Mad Libs
Brainquest cards (2nd grade)
Audio book on CD
2 rubber stamps (used for our homemade wrapping paper)
Waterproof toiletry bag
2 drinking glasses
2 shirts for me
3 short-sleeved shirts for J
4 long-sleeved shirts for J this fall
For everything you see in the picture below, I paid just over $10. Such a bargain. The drinking glasses, baskets, and shirts for myself were all things I had on my list of wants. And I am always on the lookout for clothes for J, as he grows so fast (about 3 inches since school started in August.)
I also went to Goodwill that same weekend. I was in serious need of shirts. I was down to just a few decent T-shirts that didn't have mysterious holes, or stains, or collars that are stretched out. And I really didn't have any other shirts that weren't dressy. So I was thrilled to come home that day with 7 shirts for a total of $21! The DVds were $2.25 each. The Star Wars animated DVDs are for my nephew to watch and the other one is one that I plan to eventually resell. I should make at least $10 off of it according to the used prices on Amazon.
Do you have any frugal or eco actions you would like to share? I would love to hear about them!


No comments:
Post a Comment