Feel free to share a link to my blog if you want to share something with a friend--a picture or an idea.

Monday, January 26, 2015

The Year of Decrapification



So much stuff!!  From where does it come?  Well, we all know the answer to that:  it can only come into the house if the occupants let it.  

I finally got my act together enough to clear out the stuff I had put in my nephew's room here at my house.  Most of this has already been taken to the Goodwill donation truck.  Another small box is going this morning.  And then there are a few things that are going to my mother's house to be stored in her shop for the yard sale we are having this spring. 



Items from Mr. GV's closet:  coat, shirts, exercise clothes, hat, tie, etc. 


Prom/banquet dresses from 25 years ago.  Why was I hanging on to these?  Sentimental I guess, but now I am so glad they are gone.  The black one might be stylish enough to wear even now but the rest?  Maybe someone would like to make cute pillows or dress up clothes for their girls out of them?  


A wreath that was a gift when my Dad died.  It hung in my spare room (now cat room) where I didn't have to see it very often.  Although it's pretty, it makes me sad to look at it because of the event associated with it, so out it goes.  


Totally random items--water bottles, thermometer, phone case, microwave turntable, storage containers, fanny pack, shoelaces, and so on. 



The few toy items I had.  


Electronics!  Is this the bane of everyone else's decluttering process?  I put the cameras, phone, GPS, and one of the cords in a box for the yard sale, but the rest is gone to GW.  



Houseshoes, notebook, floor puzzle, knife, bag.  Plus a small box of items GW would throw out so I'm going to put them at the yard sale as free.  


Puzzle, lampshade, belt, child learning cards, MY GRADUATION HAT from 500 years ago.  Yep I'm sure someone will want that piece of cardboard and fabric.  


A nice storage container on wheels.  The top is slightly bowed because I had heavy items on top of it, but if counterweight is applied I think it could be fixed.  When you get rid of lots of things, you have no need for as many organizational containers.  


Capri jeans that have multiple buttons for the fly and a couple pillowcases.  


Purses, a few clothing items, horseshoes, water shoes.  Duffle bags are going to the yard sale. 


All going to the yard sale:  guitar (being returned to my mom who is the actual owner for her to sale), kid's chair, fireplace screen, camping mat, photo printer. 


I am SO glad to get these things out of my house.  There is still quite a bit to be done.  It's all the hidden type of items now:  old laptops in the top of a closet, not really bothering anyone but getting on my last nerve because I know they are there, sentimental items packed away in a closet, too many T-shirts clogging up a dresser drawer.  

2 comments:

The Frugal Shrink said...

Woo!! Way to go!!! And I know you said WE are responsible for bringing stuff in the house but I am pretty convinced it multiplies when my back is turned. ;)

mrsgreenveggies said...

I agree! Stuff has very Tribble-like multiplying abilities, I'm sure! ;) Sometimes I feel all smug about my buying habits and think "Oh, I don't bring THAT much into the house." Um...then where does it come from ? Some of it is old things I'm letting go, some of it is given to me, and some of it is my husband's stuff, but darn it if I don't have to take responsibility for at least part of it. Ha!