Feel free to share a link to my blog if you want to share something with a friend--a picture or an idea.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A green glimpse at my day

Today was filled with errands that kept me away from home for 5 hours. 

First off was getting gas in my car.  We are fortunate enough to drive a hybrid, so it is not terribly painful when we need to fill up, and it takes a while until we need to fill up again. 

Next I popped by the library to drop off a stack of 27 magazines at the FOL bookstore.  Most of these were ones that Mr. GV had hoped to read but finally let go when he realized he just wasn't that interested in making the time to read them. 



Next I went to the local, organic nursery for the first time this season.  I should have had my plants in the ground a couple weeks ago, but I am still within a reasonable time frame to plant.  Here you see:  3 Roma tomatoes, 6 peppers, 3 yellow summer squash, 3 cucumber, 1 cantaloupe, and 1 peppermint.  I plan to get these out on Friday.  There's also some fresh potatoes I picked up. 


I also bought 10 sweet potato slips for the first time!  I'm excited to see if these grow.  Last year we had "accidental" sweet potatoes from our compost bed.  We eat several dishes that include sweet potatoes so growing them organically would be great.

I stopped by the farm store and bought some bulk bird seed.  There are clear plastic, single use bags available for the bird seed but I figured there wasn't any reason why I couldn't use one of my lightweight reusable bags----so I did!  I have never *once* had anyone refuse to let me use my own bag at a store--clothing, shoes, groceries, hardware, on a rare trip to the mall, Wal-Mart (although I am only there in a 'have to' case.) 

There was also stop at the Mennonite market (lots of organic/bulk items) for several items, including my reward of a Coconut Bliss dark chocolate frozen treat.  Yum!!  I stopped at the shoe store, where I bought a pair of shoes to go with my free hand-me-down dress from my sister.  We are attending a family wedding in June so it is nice to have something "new to me."  There was a quick foray into Big Lots where I tried to stay away from the CCFC (that's cheap crap from China) but did pick up a game ball for our family reunion next month.  Other than that I came out with some organic foods. 

Next was a quick stop at Goodwill.  I came out of there with three items, all for J of course:  a Power Rangers T-shirt, a large dry erase board, and a bingo game.  I'm going to use the dry erase board to write little messages for him, some small words for him to read, and a checklist of his responsibilities when he is here (getting dressed, brush teeth, pick up toys, and the like.)  The bingo game is just for fun, and because I'd like J to be able to go with me the next time the Humane Society hosts a bingo night.  The pieces are all made of cardboard, so if they should get torn up, the entire thing can be recycled. 

And last of all, the grocery store, about which there is really not that much to say:  bought groceries, some unpackaged, some packaged (have to make those decisions---organic vs packaging sometimes.) 

Question:  Did you do anything green today?  Is there anything in your life that is a particular frustration to you because you would like it to be more environmentally friendly but can't quite figure out how to get there?

No comments: