Feel free to share a link to my blog if you want to share something with a friend--a picture or an idea.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Cleaning out the fridge

Yesterday I decided it was time to use up the odds and ends from the fridge!


First on the agenda was using up some zucchini from our garden. They became giganto-zucchini while we were at Vegetarian Summerfest. And so I decided to make my first ever zucchni bread, and use a recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking. First up was grating the zucchini.



Next up was wondering why Max was standing beside me the whole time while I was grating. So I decided to give him a taste and see if he liked it. This was actually his *second* nibble. Just plain ol' zucchini, folks, and he loves it! (And yes I scrubbed my hands after this shot! lol)

And here is the finished product. The first time I make a new recipe, I like to exactly follow the directions, unless I am veganizing it of course. So I used the entire amount of sugar and oil that was called for, which was a lot. Each time I make the bread in the future I will reduce both of those, until I reach the minimum 'goodness threshold' as I like to call it.




I had both leftover lentils and a frozen bag of brown rice, so decided to make Lentil-Rice Balls, from Vegan Lunchbox. I made over 100, and froze the great majority. Granted, they look a little dried out in this picture. That is my usual experience with them, actually. But the great thing is you don't eat them by themselves, but as a replacement for meatballs in spaghetti or on a sub with marinara, so if they are a little dried-out, you don't notice.


My mother brought over 2 cucumbers that her neighbor grew in his garden. I used
my cousin Annette's icebox pickle recipe to whip up these tasty treats.





I had 6 ears of peaches and cream corn that I boiled up. Oh my goodness! So yummy, and needs no salt or butter, just shuck and silk, boil for 30 minutes or so, and chow down!






So all total I've got 2 loaves of zucchini bread, 6 ears of corn, 100+ lentil-rice balls in the freezer, along with a bag of frozen grated zucchini.


No comments: