Feel free to share a link to my blog if you want to share something with a friend--a picture or an idea.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Road trip Day 1

*Note:  Most of the pictures from our road trip/Summerfest were taken with my phone camera.  It does an OK job, but expect a few blurry pictures.*

We headed out on our road trip on July 3rd.  I was upset that we had to miss the 35th annual July 4th celebration put on by one side of my family, but it couldn't be helped.  We spent the night before with my mom, then left our dogs with her.  *Sniff*  That was really tough.  They are both getting up there in age but Max especially is not doing so well right now. 

We ate breakfast on the road.  I made up the nomelet recipe from Happy Herbivore, then added vegan sausage, Tofutti cheese, and Ezekiel muffins, and we had ourselves a homemade, vegan breakfast sandwich.  I made 6 and we had one each morning of the trip to Pennsylvania.

Our first day we made it to the Lexington, KY area, where Mr. GV has family.  But first, we stopped off for a vegan meal at a Chinese restaurant. 


We shared an order of potstickers,


and then I had the sesame Kwachic. I'm not sure what Mr. GV had, but I'd bet money it was General Tso's Kwachic, which looks basically the same as mine, but with a spicy/not sweet sauce.

We ran through a lovely hail storm that eventually caused us to have to pull off under an overpass.  I was a bit nervous, because where there's hail, oftentimes at home there are tornadoes.  But luckily it was just hail and rain, and after several minutes we were able to get back on the road. 

We checked into our hotel, then went to visit family.  There were 2 aunts, an uncle, and a multitude of cousins, including this newest little doll baby.  She is adorable and I loved knowing that she is going to grow up in a house full of multiple generations, plus aunts, uncles, and more cousins living near her.




After spending several hours visiting, we headed back to our hotel room, where we watched fireworks going off in all directions.  Apparently it just became legal in KY to buy fireworks and everyone was so excited, as you can imagine.  




No comments: