Tuesday, July 10, 2012
A sick little dog
This little girl is pretty sick right now. It seemed to come over her pretty quickly, and as of yesterday she is in our local veterinary hospital on IV fluids, with renal failure according to her lab work.
Whether it is chronic or acute we don't know. Chronic would most likely have a worse outcome, however, it seems less likely because of the sudden onset. If it is acute it could be from an illness/infection or a medication, although she only had one dose of each new medicine before the problem started. She was sick by the next morning after each of those meds were given, and rapidly got worse.
We have a wonderful, caring veterinarian. The only additional thing I could wish for is that it was a 24-hour clinic, because I really hate the thought of little Pearl not having someone watching over her at night when she is sick. However, if she couldn't be cared for here, I know our vet would recommend we move on to the emergency clinic in the big city.
Tomorrow we will see if her renal numbers are better, and then go from there. Hopefully the fluids will do their job of helping her kidneys push out any toxins and the antibiotic will do its job of killing off any possible bad bacteria.
Pearlie has only been with us for 4 months, but I am so attached to that sweet little thing! I visited her this afternoon. The vet said she might be just a little bit more perky today than yesterday, but it is obvious she still feels bad. She did, however, lift her head for me, which is more than I got yesterday, and her beagle nose sniffed the air a couple of times. At this point, I'll take any little glimmer of normal behavior from her that I can get!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I hope she gets better soon! So hard when our loved ones are sick. Glad you have a great vet.
Thanks! Pearl is coming home on Monday. She's had a week of fluids and her numbers have come down some, but not to normal. We are hopeful that it will just take some time for her body to heal, and that she will get well. She is eating pretty well and seems to have built up some strength and has her muscles going again after nearly a week of laying around most of the time.
Post a Comment