Feel free to share a link to my blog if you want to share something with a friend--a picture or an idea.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Philosiphizin', tunies, and canners

Just a few flower pictures from my backyard:

Blackberry lily. I love these flowers. They are so dainty.



Day lily. Love the color of this one. I have tons of yellow day lilies in front and a few in back of my house, but just one plant that blooms this color.


Canna. These were already at our house when we bought it 9 years ago. The bed they grow in is outside our bedroom, just off the deck. I love lying in bed and watching these tall beauties blowing in the wind.
My granny called these "canners." Growing up I didn't know that much about flowers, and had no idea what these were really called. She also called petunias "tunies." As in "Don't forget to water my tunies" or "You have to pinch the tunies."
Speaking of cannas---I have always heard that in my zone or colder, you have to dig them up in the winter. To this I say: Are you kidding me? Now my beds do need weeding, and I am certainly no professional, but most of the time when I plant a flower it grows. Here is my gardening philosophy: NEGLECT. When I plant something in the ground, I water it in for a while until it gets established. And then it's on its own. Let those roots dig down deep and search out their own water and nutrients. I don't do fussy plants. If it can't make it in the hot, humid South without babying, I've no business growing it. Now of course I'm talking about perennial flowers, trees, bushes. A vegetable garden needs regular gardening of course.
How about you? What's your gardening philosophy?

No comments: