Feel free to share a link to my blog if you want to share something with a friend--a picture or an idea.

Friday, January 14, 2011

O to the R to the Z to the O

I'm talkin' orzo. It's something we don't have very often, but it lends itself to the creamy goodness in this dish.





Skillet Mushroom Saute With Orzo (from the back of the Skinner orzo box, with modifications)

3 Tbls non-dairy butter (can leave this out if you want)
3 c (9 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms
1/3 c. finely diced onion
1 c Skinner orzo, uncooked
1 3/4 c veggie broth
1/4 c white wine or water
1/4 c chopped fresh parsley (can use dried in a pinch, but fresh is better)
salt to taste

In large skillet over medium heat, melt butter; add mushrooms, onion, and uncooked orzo. Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly, or until onion is tender (or substitute a few Tbls water for butter.) Add broth and wine; heat to boiling. Cover; reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until orzo is tender and most liquid is absorbed. Stir in parsley and salt.


I am not a big fan of mushrooms, but in this recipe I manage to eat several because the texture is not nearly as pronounced as usual. As a matter of fact, I just had to have a bowl of this yummy dish while I was typing this post!

No comments: