Feel free to share a link to my blog if you want to share something with a friend--a picture or an idea.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Making something out of 'nothing'

We are big users of veggie broth here. I used to buy the aseptic containers, but hated the amount of waste that was generated that way. So I've mostly gone to cubes--there is a little waste in the wrapping that is around each cube, but the box they come in is recyclable.

But one thing that I think I overlook is making my own broth. I've done it in the past, with a recipe, using specific "new" ingredients. I've been trying to remember to dump my scraps (broccoli stalks, mushroom stems), things almost past their prime (herbs that haven't quite reached the slime stage), etc into the freezer.

So earlier this week I decided it was time to get things going. I added some baby carrots slowly going downhill, an onion, peppercorns, and bay leaves.



After simmering for 4 hours, I strained the whole lot.



Naturally I was being supervised. Max has picked up the bad habit of watching me cook, hoping that I'll throw him *something.* It drives me a little crazy sometimes but I love my old Maxie so can't get too upset with him.


I strained it all again to get out the tiny bits, this time using a jelly strainer bag that my mom no longer wanted.



Now that's some pretty broth stuff right there! And I love that it was made mostly from things that were going in the compost otherwise. (They still went in the compost after making broth of course.)

After it cooled, I put it into squared bowls, then froze. I'll transfer to storage bags, then be able to just put a frozen square directly into my cooking pot next time I need it. Love it!




No comments: