BAKE SOMETHING ALREADY!
Next on my list of things to bake was the Barley Casserole from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet.
I found hulled barley at a local health food store, but you could also use pearled variety. I admit, we don't eat a lot of barley here at our house, and I'm not sure why. It really is a delicious grain.
Carrot, celery, onion and garlic cooking in cast iron.
The finished casserole.
I admit, I was a bit worried that we wouldn't like it. But....it was delicious! Serve it up with a salad and you have a good meal.
The verdict: I will most definitely be making this recipe again. It is a nice chewy, filling dish, and the tahini dressing in between layers of barley adds a nice flavor.
3 comments:
I'm terrible I've had The Kind Diet since it came out but am yet to make anything from it. I wonder if this would work with brown rice because it looks yummo!
This was my first time cooking from it too. I see these great vegan cookbooks, buy them, and then they sit on the shelf forever while I make good ol' standards.
I would try it with brown rice. I think it would be good that way too!
I'm glad to say it's good the day after as well. I am currently sitting here eating it while I look at MoFo posts on my laptop!
This is one of the 2 or 3 recipes I've made from the kind life and I LOVE IT. Brown rice is such a good idea! I'm ashamed it didn't occur to me sooner.
Post a Comment