(Deep breath) I don't like greens.
I know, I know, some of you may think I need to turn in my vegan card. But maybe there are a few out there who agree with me, and are secret (or public) non-lovers of greens. I have tried to fall in love with greens. I know they are so good for me. I have had them so many different ways, and no matter what I cannot bear to eat the things. Raw, cooked, made into chips, I just don't like them. The taste of kale, turnip greens, collards, spinach, mustards--it's all the same to me--bitter and overwhelming to my mouth. And so I just gave up on them. Until I learned a little trick:
Put them in a smoothie! With the added tastes of cocoa, fruit, and other ingredients, plus the miraculous work of an immersion blender, my taste buds have zero indication that greens are passing by on their way to becoming excellent nutrition for my body.
Here's what went into my most recent smoothie--almond milk, goji berries, frozen fruit, banana, cocoa powder, acai powder, green powder, and hemp seeds. Plus the kale of course.
So if you're like me and had given up in on those greens, hide the taste in a fruit smoothie. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Your vegan two cents: Fess up! Do you loathe greens as much as I do? Any other sneaky ways to hide them from yourself?
4 comments:
I used to not like greens (some are just way too bitter), but ended up taking the same track. I do want to try juicing them, though. It sounds so appealing!!
Also, didn't realize you could make a smoothie with an immersion blender LOL! I HATE cleaning my blender. Gonna have to break that sucker out and use it :)
I like most greens, though kale took me a long time to come around to. (And I still think kale chips are super nasty.) But I absolutely can't handle the thought of green smoothies... because my brain tells me no no no kale doesn't go with those things!
So I am really intrigued to hear a greens hater say that you can't taste the greens in your green smoothies! You may have moved me one tiny step closer to trying them...
Jes--I so love my immersion blender. Other than smoothies, I mainly use it for salad dressings and creamy soups.
Coldandsleepy--Give it a try! I'd start by finding my saturation point. Start with one leaf, then go up a leaf each time until you reach the 'yuck' point for you. My husband also says you could try adding acidic ingredients like apple juice to counteract the bitter taste.
I love greens of any sort. The bitterness is the attraction. However, the thought of greens in a smoothie makes me gag. I honestly cannot imagine it. Since I over bought spinach this last week, I might just try some in a smoothie.
Post a Comment